5 Facts About Squid Game Season 2
Dong-hyuk Hwang’s 9-episode kdrama about a deadly tournament was an international smash hit. By putting a grim twist on innocent playground activities, it managed to attract unprecedented attention. The premise worked on multiple levels from distinctive visual style to intense action and intrigue. Production-wise, it rivals any high-budget Hollywood movie both in terms of acting and cinematography. Needless to say, audiences loved the thrilling experience and praised its numerous qualities. Nearly every review raved about how well thought out and put together the content was. Unsurprisingly, the talk of Squid Game season 2 has started almost immediately after the finale. Although the conclusion was definitely satisfying, it was also open-ended enough to continue. Fans have been theorizing about where the story could go from there on forums online. Unfortunately, most of the discussion is rooted in pure speculation. This is mostly due to the lack of relevant statements from the showrunners themselves. However, despite their reserved approach, some things are almost a certainty. Let’s list and analyze them thoroughly in this article. Beware of spoilers below!
Turning Up the Heat
Ever since the official trailer came out, the expectations were set very high. And in order to sustain interest, the series had to keep gradually raising the stakes. Matching this level of intensity and pushing the envelope further will be very difficult. But based on the team’s previous achievements, they might just manage to pull it off. Without further ado, here are the bits and pieces known so far:
- The sequel is likely. The IP’s viral popularity and overwhelming success cannot go unnoticed. Viewers want more, and the entertainment platforms are fully aware of that. Additionally, Netflix already has a track record for multi-seasonal Korean dramas.
- Nothing is set in stone. The original is a product of meticulous planning and years of hard work. So far, the crew does not have a solid idea of how to proceed. The subsequent installment could pick up right where the timeline of its predecessor stops. But it may very well feature a completely different setting.
- Changing the format. Turning kid’s pastimes into bloody trials was a neat concept. But repeating it in the exact same fashion would be unwise. Franchises that made this mistake, be it film, anime, or manga, ended up being underwhelming. The creators need to think outside the box to prevent their brainchild from becoming formulaic.
- The director is not in a hurry. According to interviews, writing and designing the plot structure alone was a challenging feat. In the future, he would like to share responsibility with a group of talented writers. Taking it slow is his preferred strategy.
- New cast. Since most of the characters got killed off, hiring more actors is a given. Who exactly they will portray remains a mystery. It depends on the direction the storyline might take. Jung-jae Lee is probably going to return to star as Seong Gi-hun once more.
Squid Game Season 2 Possible Release Date
Sadly, the network has no comments to offer in regards to the potential timeframe. Implementing such complex projects is incredibly time-consuming and labor-intensive. For example, the first iteration entered the development stage back in 2008. It took over 6 months to perfect only two initial episodes. Considering that there is no concrete plan yet, the task could require years. Even with unlimited resources, accomplishing anything before 2023 seems unrealistic. Currently, there is no mention of the follow-up on the show’s IMDB page.
To summarize, the information is scarce. The fanbase is hungry for updates and details. For now, they can only feed on the breadcrumbs thrown by media outlets. In this situation, the wisest thing everyone can do is be patient. If the plotline maintains its momentum, Squid Game season 2 is going to be spectacular. Give the producers time and creative freedom, and the result will be worth the wait.